Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Worbla, is there anything you can't do?

I decided to use the cut off scraps from armor making to do some detailing on my bracers.  

We have a billion of these little skinny bits from where we trimmed off the edges.  Fortunately, Worbla is great for re-heating and remolding a billion times!

So to start with, I dug all the little skinny bits out of our scraps bin and heated them up.

Once heated I bent them into a semi-tube like shape and rolled them until I had a worbla worm. I then repeated this step, joining my worms together and rolling out the join bump till it was the same size as my previous worm.

I had already drawn lines on my bracers of where the raised detail would go, by the way, use sharpies for this and not crayola markers (the washable kind) unless you want blue and black finger tips. So I heated up my worm and the bracer surface its self (just enough so it was tacky, don't over heat and cause the worlba to loose its shape!)

In the end I had something that looks like this:

I wanted to get this done on all 4 pieces, because I am currently working on the decorative cuff at the bottom of Kains bracers, and I knew that adding those lines would add extra to the circumference of the bracers and I want the cuffs to go around them with a nice fit with no gaping.

I have 1 cuff ready to go and could have finished the other one, but I kinda got over zealous with the rolling of my worms and gave myself some friction burns.  So I will let those heal for a day and jump back on the horse tomorrow!

Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Monsters Inc Pj's!

Just because I am grown up and a girl, does not mean I do not want Monsters Inc (technically Monsters inc 2) Pj's.  I made these yesterday for a display at work.  Everything was bought from Fabricville. I used iron on letters, green lace, Monsters Inc 2 fabric,  McCalls pattern #4244 for the pants, and a  pre-made t-shirt.

The green lace on the cuffs is also on the pockets. I used green because I like Mike and wanted him to stand out more.

I cut out one of the images of Sully from the scraps left over from the pants and attached it to the shirt with Steam-a-seam. I then went around the edges with a zig-zag stitch to keep it from fraying off.

If you are wondering why it says Kitty, it is because that is what Boo (the little human girl who ends up in the monster world) calls sully in the first Monsters Inc movie.

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

The armor continues

The great armor challenge continues!  Now with a breast plate.

This'd be the final mold for my breast plate, which pretty well hides the fact that I actually have breasts.  Which is what we wanted, Kain is a boy after all, a girly video game boy, but still a boy.

Further hiding my lady curves is the stomach piece that will clip on to the breast plate and hid that pesky under bust curve where my chest meets my abdomen, making my torso appear flatter.

Hard to see perhaps here, but we went back and re-shaped my back piece. There is now clear indentations for my spine and shoulder blades which is fun.

It's a little easier to see perhaps when it is lying down.

Both pieces need a small raised collar attached onto them and then some finer details (spikes and such) and then many layers of paint, but the end is foreseeable for this particular part of the armor.

 And here is what I worked on tonight:
Half the pattern, for Kains butt-cape. This will later be transferred to tracing paper to get a mirror image for the other side and then made into a silk screen and printed.

Helmet related fun shall begin on Sunday.

Wednesday, 5 February 2014

The robe is done! So is the sash and armband.  All that is left is to finish up a tailored coat.